All schools in Ireland/EU, are required to implement the same EMF Risk Assessments and EMF Staff Training as other businesses.
- Conduct General Risk Assessments after installing Wi-Fi.
- Inform / Educate staff, Risks from non-thermal radiation exposure.
- Ensure radiation exposure is below sensory effect levels.
- Ensure health surveillance and maintain health records.
Workers identified ‘at particular risk’ from non-ionising exposure:
- Pregnant women
- People with Pacemakers, Hearing Aids etc.
- People with passive implants
- People with body-worn medical devices
At particular risk groups are entitled to Specific Risk Assessments.
In 2011, Children were identified as ‘high-risk group’ from pulsed radiation exposure. Advice contained in Resolution 1815, Council of Europe.
When a school has Wi-Fi installed, Council of Europe advise adopting Precautionary and ALARA Principles. Turn On when using, Turn Off when not.